Friday, April 17, 2009

One of the hardest parts of writing in university classes is to actually come up with substantial arguments without needing to research the topic. More often than not the arguments that I come up myself are shallow and do not address the in-depth issues regarding the topic. To combat this, I actually have to keep up with current affairs and broaden the scope of my readings. Reading newspapers, not tabloids, is a good start for me. Also, I go online for international news and articles on current events happening around the world. This way, I can actually read propaganda free writing which will otherwise limit the pathways I can approach while considering issues. Writing is not something I often practise as well, especially since I’m in Engineering. This module made us maintain a blog for our assignments, and I think it’s probably a good idea to maintain one well after this module has ended. This way I can actually practise writing continuously and not lose touch.
Graduating marks a beginning of a new phase in our lives. Most will probably have found jobs by then and be busy climbing the corporate ladder, working for our dream house, car, and improving the quality of our lives. Yet these will amount to nothing if you do not have health or someone to share it with. Often when we are busy surviving in an intensely competitive environment we forget our health and go on with sheer willpower. While this is commendable, it ultimately leads nowhere. When our health starts failing us at like 30, we begin to see the futility of our efforts. Of course, this does not mean we should not work hard. We need to have goals in life to make living meaningful. My point is that we should enjoy the process of attaining our goals. Surrounding ourselves with friends and family, sharing our joy and sorrow with them is the simplest yet essential part of our lives. While we are living comfortable lives, society has not been kind to everyone. We should always contribute a little and help out the less fortunate. Donating a small percentage of our pay check might forfeit some of our luxuries, but it can fulfil the basic needs of many people. We can also help out at or spend time with the people at children or elderly homes during the weekends which will otherwise be spent watching reruns on the television. This seemingly simple tasks make the world a better place to live in for this less fortunate people.

No comments:

Post a Comment